“The body tells its story. The mind supports and questions and encourage. The mind has to agree to be the compassionate listener without judgement or expectation. We want to find a deeper meaning in the asanas, to take us to a higher level of consciousness, expect depth, reflection, clarity and support for the Light within.”
I’ve been teaching yoga since 2004. Over the year my teaching style has changed a lot. I used to plan and then just improvise, have an idea for a series or peak poses. Sometime I thought I had just taught an amazing class but did not write it down and then would not be able to repeat it. I’ve also spend lot of time, researching, reading, preparing and know how much can go into planing the “perfect” class. I’ve decided to share with you some of the classes program, class 3, I prepared for the Yoga teacher training. There are 18 lessons plans that build on each other. The first few classes are more gentle classes, until we move toward more advanced poses and sequencing. Where ever you are on your journey its important to remind yourself that it’s more important to have awareness than to do an asana perfectly. I hope you enjoy me sharing theses with you and would appreciate your feedback to keep improving them. I’ve used 2 books to help me build theses classes, they are the Golden Present book by Sri Swami Satchidananda and the Hidden Language of Hatha Yoga by Swami Sivananda Radha.
“In Hatha Yoga we confront our fears as well as our potentials by balancing attention between the body and the mind. Because human beings are so complex, various branches of yoga must be practised in proper combination to help people become harmonious being. Asanas are a discipline of the body, but they are not without an effect on the mind, and in turn the mind affects the body. We create an intuitive space for deepening our understanding about ourselves, uncovering our obstacles and potential. We are the masters of our own destiny.
Class 7: Balasana/Child pose, I am grateful
Child pose: In a receptive state of mind, it is easier to be transformed by our yoga practice. The ultimate goal of yoga lies in our surrendering to a higher power. In surrender we truly open ourselves up to receive and also to give. Yoga is regarded as a practice that liberates us from the ego but at same time it binds us to the divine through love and this is what Child pose symbolizes. Balasana invites us to cultivate this childlike quality.
As I wake in the morning
I count my blessings now
I say thank you, oh thank you dear one
This love it shows me how
As I open my eyes to the day
I am so gifted in so many ways
So grateful just to be
This miracle of life it sets me free
I am blessed, I am grateful and I Iive in abundance
Focus and Intention: We all have special needs, we are all unique. We have different experiences stored in our bodies and in our muscles. Our bodies are different, even our organs can be placed in slightly different places. Start moving with more fluidity, there is not a straight line in any of us. Don’t try harder, simply relax knowing that you are powerful and worthy. You are more than you think. Uncover and rediscover what is already burning inside of you. Live and be who you need to be: joy, love, happiness.
Classical + Sun Salutation A Think less, feel more!
- Tree pose/ Vrksasana
- Standing figure four pose/ eka pada utkatasana
- Standing leg extension/ hand to big toe/ Utthita Hasta Padangusthasana A
- Crescent Lunge/ Anjaneyasana
- Warrior 3/ Virabhadrasana 3
- Standing split/ Urdhva Prasarita Eka Padasana
- Bring leg up slowly down cross behind standing leg, forward fold
- Repeat flow other side
- 1 leg Downward Dog to knee to chest twist in Plank
- Fallen Triangle/ Patita Tarasana
- Pigeon and Side-bend Pigeon/ Eka Pada Rajakapotasana
- Vinyasa pause in Child pose and Repeat flow and instead of pigeon, twist with straight leg
- Sphinx/ Salamba Bhujangasana
- Lying on belly twist
- Hand to big toe lying down
Your thoughts, ideas, and energy can be transferred without even seeing or touching a person. By your very thought, you can send your energy and thought forces anywhere you want. Thought forces are even more powerful than physical forces. You can use any words that are meaningful to you. Send good positive thoughts. The more you show love and concern to other people, the purer your heart becomes. Take a moment to see yourself as a child and send yourself love around you and to yourself.
SA is birth, the beginning, infinity, the totality of everything that ever was, is, or will be.
TA is life, existence, and creativity which manifests from infinity.
NA is death, change, and the transformation of consciousness.
MA is rebirth, regeneration, and resurrection which allows us to consciously experience the joy of the infinite.
- Vinyasa Yoga Class, lesson plan Class 1: Yin/Yang sequence, deep belly breath, I am breathing mantra
- Vinyasa Yoga Class, lesson plan Class 2: Tree pose, 3-part breath
- Vinyasa Yoga Class, lesson plan Class 3: Ujjaya breath, I am calm
- Vinyasa Yoga Class, lesson plan Class 4: Strength intelligence, I am focus
- Vinyasa Yoga Class, lesson plan Class 5: Sun salutation A, Dancing Warrior, I am strong
- Vinyasa Yoga Class, lesson plan Class 6: Sun Salutation A, move like a snake, I am healthy